Friday, February 18, 2011

A New Craving

I crave this all day long, I think about it and how good it will taste, I cannot wait to put the kids to bed (so I don't have to share), I cut my phone conversation with Brigham short just so I can make the creamy chocolate peanut butter banana shake that I just cannot get enough off. I first had this shake at a friends house over a year ago but since she made it with ice cream (something I do not stock in my freezer and when I do buy it, I don't get vanilla), I never tried making it myself. Brigham also liked this shake and over Christmas he started experimenting to make it without ice cream, he used milk and ice. It tasted good but not as creamy as my friend's version.

When I organized my pantry about a week ago I realized I still had two cartoon of coconut milk left from when I went dairy-free because of Seth. I decided I might as well use them up instead of move them with us to California. I also had some frozen coconut milk ice cubes in the freezer (I freeze leftover coconut milk when a recipe does not call for a whole can). I replaced the milk and ice with coconut milk and frozen coconut milk cubes and after I adjusted the other ingredients to compensate for the strong coconut flavor, I had a shake that was just as creamy as the ice cream version and so good. It definitely is not healthy, but certainly satisfying and gives me something to look forward to after a long day alone with the kids.

Chocolate coconut banana peanut butter shake
(the shake taste best with frozen bananas)
  • 6 frozen coconut milk ice cubes
  • enough coconut milk to cover ice cubes (I use the SO Delicious Coconut milk sold in cartons near the soy milk, the vanilla flavor has a less strong coconut flavor but I also like the orginal for when I want more coconut flavor)
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1-2 tbsp of peanut butter (or more to taste)
  • 1-2 tbsp of chocolate milk mix (or more to taste)
  • blend in blender until smooth adding more coconut milk if needed, taste and add more peanut butter or chocolate if needed, enjoy.

2 comments:

Maria said...

YUM! My kids are going to be in heaven! Thanks for sharing this recipe! We've been using So Delicious coconut milk beverages exclusively for over a year, and everyone in our family is healthier and happier than ever!

Liz said...

Okay, I am now convinced that we have some physic mind/body connection going on here. (It's a good thing we're already sisters, otherwise I'd swear we were twins.)I have been obsessed with a similar sounding shake for the last two weeks and sometimes drinking my delicious chocolate banana shake is the only thing that gets me through the day. I'll have to try yours too. I've already got some cocount ice cubes in my freezer. Also, have you tried the chocolate gelato recipe in the last issue of Eating Well? It only uses cocoa powder and coconut milk. I was skeptical but I just made it the other night and it is tasty.