Monday, January 26, 2009

Mascara

In addition to loving lotion, James also loves makeup. Yes, makeup. This adds another level of difficulty for me to get ready in the morning. As soon as he hears me unzip the makeup bag, he is at my side trying to grab whatever he can from the bag. His personal favorite is mascara. He is also surprisingly good at snitching the mascara despite my best efforts and then I have to chase him around the house to get it back. Then he screams and cries at the top of his lungs until he can steal the mascara again! Now, if he just wanted the mascara to hold I would not have a problem with his taking it but he wants to unscrew the top and try to put it on.


This was James' first attempt at applying makeup. Being the good mother than I am I cleaned him up and then tried to teach him how to apply makeup properly.


James was a good sport but James refused to hold still so this was the best I could do. For a while I thought his "make over" cured him of this obsession with my makeup since he left it alone.



Over Christmas James rediscovered his love of makeup when he learned that lipstick, in addition to being face paint, makes an excellent medium to practice drawing. Luckily he contains his artistic expressions to the bathroom tile. Since returning from California James redoubled his efforts to get into the makeup. I have to hang my makeup from the dresser mirror to keep it out of his reach and today I found him trying to maneuver a chair up to the dresser. Luckily, his chair was too low to allow him to climb up. Unfortunately, he now throws full out tantrums when I take the mascara away from him or keep it out of his reach while getting ready. My solution: I bought him his own makeup! Just some clear lip gloss which I keep with my makeup and hand him when I get ready in the morning. Since I don't have to chase him around the house it now only takes me 5 minutes to ready instead of 30! And lip gloss is much easier to wash off.


I had forgotten, however, that I had a bottle of mascara in my gym bag which James found this morning while Anna and I dozed. I guess I should be happy that he did not poke his eye out or try applying the mascara to another surface. But it was waterproof mascara and I had just run out of eye makeup remover. Sigh. But he does have beautiful eyes.


No comments: